- 2 (5 1/2-pound) dressed ducks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 12 shallots, peeled
- 10 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 small lemon, cut in half
- 1/2 cup lemon marmalade
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- Garnishes: rosemary sprigs, lemon slices, fresh berries
Start by firing up your wood fired oven to it’s optimum temperature and allow the oven to cool down to a roasting environment. Maintain the temperature at 250 degrees C. For more information, please refer to our Cooking Techniques Guide.
- Remove giblets and necks from ducks; reserve for another use, if desired. Rinse ducks thoroughly under cold water, and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle cavities and skin with salt and pepper; fill cavities with shallots and next 3 ingredients. Prick skin with a meat fork. Tie ends of legs together with string; tuck wingtips under.
- Place ducks, breast side up, on a lightly greased grill rack and tray and place into oven once it has reached it’s optimum temperature and you have brushed embers to one side. Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes. Turn ducks over; bake 30 minutes.
- Combine marmalade and brown sugar into a mini saucepan and place in oven for 2 1/2 minutes. Turn ducks breast side up; brush with marmalade mixture. Return ducks to oven and bake for a final 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer ducks to a serving platter; let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with the fresh berries, rosemary sprigs and lemon slices.